|The Asphalt Kitchen, working the grill at sundown.|
|Grilled corn, roasted radishes and |
peppers, caprese salad, bread, vino,
and apple crisp. Our tailgate is
better than your tailgate!
Before I get into it, we had an abundance of farmshare veggies, so we roasted them up. The recipe below is a bonus!
|Dutch Oven Apple Crisp|
Le Creuset Apple Crisp
Adapted from somewhere to fit your Dutch Oven, punk.
Serves about six, but realistically four
- 6 cups tart apples, cored and chopped into 1 inch chunks (you can peel or not peel them; we didn't peel and it was fine)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your real oven to about 400.
- Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl, add them to your Le Creuset.
- Combine the topping ingredients in another bowl using your fingers, until the mixture resembles a meal and the chunks of butter have been mostly incorporated.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, until the topping has become golden brown and it lightly bubbles delicious juices along the sides. Add 10 minutes to this time if you are not transferring to a grill to complete cooking.
- If you are tailgating or grilling, about ten minutes prior to eating time, place your Dutch Oven on the grill on medium high for about ten minutes, covered. When it starts to bubble regularly again, it is done.
- Eat! (If tailgating, make sure you have something heat resistant to serve it in; red solo cups seemed to work fine.) Serve w/ice cream for ala mode, or with Greek yogurt for a breakfast treat.
|AKA the only way I want to eat these from now on. (Photo via The Asphalt Kitchen)|
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Clean your radishes, removing greens and any roots.
- Slice in half if they are larger to shorten cooking time.
- Toss w/salt and pepper (any any other spices you want).
- Place in a roasting tray and roast for 30-40 minutes, shaking the pan about halfway through.
- Enjoy hot or cold!