|So many apples, so few ideas that|
do not end in dessert...
Lemon Ginger Applesauce
Adapted from The Apple Lover's Cookbook, by Amy Traverso
|Lemon Ginger Applesauce, Le Creuset style|
3-4 lbs apples, peeled, cored, chopped into large pieces (mixed types will work fine - better according to the original recipe)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar (more to taste if you want)
2. When it begins to steam heavily, turn down the heat to a low-medium setting. Let it cook covered for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The apples will begin to get very soft and break apart.
3. When the mixture is slightly more than half sauce and the apples break apart easily under your spoon or spatula, turn off the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
4. Add sugar to the mixture, and stir to combine.
5. If you like your applesauce chunky, stop here. If you like it smooth, continue.
6. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth.
7. Cool, and enjoy!