|Spicy Pumpkin Chili + Hocus Pocus + one hurricane - school =|
One very happy librarian!
Spicy Pumpkin Chili
|Spicy Pumpkin Chili|
1 package of spicy sausage (diced if precooked, if not, remove casing or finely chop)
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne (more or less to your spice preference)
1 can red kidney beans (14-16 oz), rinsed
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can cooked pumpkin (NOT pie filling!)
2 c vegetable or chicken broth
1 bunch kale, torn (about 8-10 stems)
Directions1. Add oil to your Le Creuset and saute your sausage over medium high. If it is raw meat, mostly cook through, and drain the fat before adding the onions. If not, saute for two minutes or so before doing so. Cook until onions begin to get clear.
2. Add peppers and spices and saute for approximately five minutes.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, pumpkin, and broth. Stir to combine, cover, and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. Add the kale, stir to incorporate, and let cook five more minutes.
6. Remove from heat, and serve with any of or none of the following: a dollop of sour cream, Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, pepitas, a spicy bread, corn bread, beer, wine, a hurricane.