This link should prove to you how long I've been putting off this Tidbits post. Yeah. Christmas, 2013. Seems like just yesterday huh? It's like I'm a hoarder. Don't judge meeee!
Books and Libraries
- If you need a very uh...saucy gift for Valentine's day for the book fondler in your life, try these. The 50/50 slap vs chuckle is on you though!
- 50 Shades of Linger-grey. Eyeroll. Probably another V-day gift idea, but could be a loaded one.
- For the more discreet yet naughty, NPR is onto what you're really reading on that cell phone!
- Struggling with which great YA to pick up next? Struggle no more! Book Riot put together a very thorough flow chart to help you muddle through this crisis of great import.
- According to the most recent Pew study on libraries, "Some 90% of Americans ages 16 and older said that the closing of their local public library would have an impact on their community, with 63% saying it would have a “major” impact." Thank you for recognizing the importance of your library, Americans who took this survey! Now please, go and make all your friends agree with you!
- I'm calling it a three way tie between Alec Baldwin, LLCoolJ, and Stephen Hawkings in theRead posters of the 1980s and 1990s, compiled by Book Riot.
- I want all of these Harry Potter stilettos, or just an invite to this inevitably awesome wedding!
- Here is a very delightful trailer for BJ Novaks new book, One More Thing, a review of which, I promise, is coming soon.
- Behold, the worlds worst allergy.
- How great are these fantastic tea blends based on books and TV/movies/fandoms I am not cool enough to understand? I want to try them ALL!
- I obvi want to try these literary cocktails (especially the Sherlock and Watson), but not as much as I want to go to Novela in San Francisco!
- It's Girl Scout Cookie season, and I have as yet failed to mention that an 8 year old in the subway station selling me them tried to get me to give her my credit card...because they take credit cards now. Those wily minxes! Here are some wine (they're kind of gross, in my opinion) and beer pairing ideas to go with your cookies as you ponder a world in which you can instantly buy things on credit from children.
Movies and TV
- I truly madly deeply hope the BBC plan to adapt Anansi Boys comes to fruition!
- These Broken Stars has been optioned for TV, but I'm more excited for the sequel. When's that happening already?
- Remember Little Golden Books? Here are some TV shows reimagined as Little Golden Books (or, perhaps, cautionary tales for children about dealing meth?).
- Oooh, Daughter of Smoke and Bone has a director. I am so hopeful!
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark has been optioned, because the illustrations weren't scary enough in 2D. Fat chance I'll see it; still recovering from my 1994 reading experience.
- Did you hear that Fault in Our Stars has a trailer? Yes, yes you did, because everyone did. Torn between being over it, and glad that people are picking up a book - hoping it leads to more exploration of YA titles! Still kind of weirded out about the brother-lover sitch though...
- I've save the best for almost last. OUTLANDERHASATRAILER. Repeat, one more time, on the slow-like: Outlander has a trailer! Two, actually. I'm embedding the better one. You know, the one in which Jamie talks and doesn't wear a shirt? Duh.
Lastly, here is the one of the best things I've read on the Internet in a while, written by a teenage girl. Suffice it to say, she's tired of being patronized:
"When you applaud or critique a young girl’s taste based on how well or badly it aligns with yours, you are suggesting that your taste = THE RIGHT TASTE, because you are the one IN THE KNOW."
Huge high five to this young woman. Well said!