For a while a few weeks ago, I was inexplicably craving brown rice - inexplicable because I’ve never really been a fan of rice, except when it is lovingly embracing or being embraced by pieces of raw fish, which I recognize me makes me a diagnosable weirdo, but also is a vote for sushi, so we're calling it a draw. This lead to an impulse purchase of a big box of rice, which then led me to be like: “Riiiight. Now I have a giant box of rice...what now.” It was also hot, which leads me to want things like fruit and fresh veggies and cold salads. I had also been attempting to get rid of a bag of dried unsweeted coconut for what felt like the entire gestation period of an elephant, and didn’t want to walk to the grocery store to get other stuff. What resulted was a grab bag of “what’s in the house that I can use?” Hence, I messed around, and came up with this delicious mess. It’s a great quick meal and should keep for about 3 days in the fridge! You could probably easily also eat it hot...but it’s summer. Make this, put some super super dry rose in the freezer until it gets a little slush-y, and voila: summer dinner.
Coconut Lime Brown Rice & Things
Makes roughly 3-4 servings
|Coconut Lime Brown Rice and Things|
½ c brown rice
½ c red lentils
¼ onion, diced
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 c H20
1 c vegetable broth
⅛ c lime juice
3 Tbsp dried unsweetened coconut
2 Tbsp white miso
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 very large clove garlic (2 smallish?)
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp sriracha
½ cube of tofu
¼ onion, diced
1 c frozen peas
1 medium carrot, diced
6 radishes, diced
1 c frozen spinach
- Cook rice with all ingredients for roughly 20 minutes (or according to package directions).
- Pour hot cooked rice into a large bowl w/frozen spinach and peas and the other ¼ onion. Stir to combine and defrost the veggies, and set aside to cool entirely.
- Add radishes, carrots and tofu. Toss with dressing, let sit in fridge to cool and serve with avocado, more sriracha and a whatever happens to be your summer beverage poison!
- Add more coconut to your preferred level of coconut - you could probably also use it as a garnish.
- Shrimp would also be good in lieu of tofu.
- As I noted, this was a fridge and freezer dump recipe. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand, fresh or frozen.